By Lizzy Adie.
Cucumber is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family cucurbitaceae. It is a creeping vine that bears cylindrical fruits that are used as culinary vegetables.
BENEFITS OF TAKING CUCUMBER
1. Reduces cholesterol : A compound called sterols in Cucumber helps reduce bad cholesterol.
2. Stabilizes blood pressure : patient with both high and low blood pressure often find that eating Cucumber brings relief.
3. Keep you hydrated : Cucumber has 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumber has most of the vitamin the body needs in a single day.
4. Fight cancer : Cucumber cuts down your risk of several cancer. It contains cancer fighting potentials.
5. Keeps kidneys in shape : Cucumber lowers Uric Acid level in your system, keeping the kidneys in good shape.
6. Good for diabetes : patients of diabetic can enjoy Cucumber while also reaping it’s health benefits. Cucumber contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
7. Revive the eyes : placing chilled slices of Cucumber on the eyes is a clichéd beauty visual, but it really helps to reduce under eye bags and puffiness.
8. Soothes muscles and joint pain : all those vitamins and minerals in Cucumber makes it a powerful enemy of muscle and joint pain.
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 1cup of raw sliced Cucumber with peel (approximately 119g) contains 115g of water, 16 calories, 0.8g of protein, 0.2g of fat, 2.9g of carbohydrates including 0.9g of fiber and 1.8g of sugar.