By Dickson Blessing
Twenty persons was reported dead in Ondo State after the consumption of local gin popularly known as ogogoro.
The state commissioner for Health Daye Adeyanju announced the ban of sale of Ogogoro throughout the state on Saturday 25th April. He said the ban will last till the root of how the gin became contaminated is unraveled.
He explained that the initial toxicology tests indicated that the victims of the sudden outbreak of a mysterious and deadly disease suffered from methanol poisoning.
“The five samples sent to the NAFDAC laboratory in Lagos revealed to us that it contained heavy concentration of methanol as high as 16.3 percent.
“This actually confirmed what we had been thinking, and that we have been dealing with methanol poisoning,” he said
The commissioner revealed that awareness programme is being carried out by the ministry, he confirmed twenty three deaths and ten who were currently receiving treatment as regards to the outbreak of this ailment