Otu backs free speech, orders review of Odama case

Reading Time: 2 minutes

CALABAR — Cross River State Governor, Senator Bassey Otu, has directed the withdrawal of a police complaint against a young Cross Riverian, Denis Odama Ajor, and ordered the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to review the case for possible discontinuation NEGROIDHAVEN has garnered.

The governor said the decision was informed by his commitment to the constitutional right to freedom of expression, including the right of citizens to criticise him.

Otu, in a statement on the matter, said he had been briefed on the case involving Odama, who was reported to the police by two of his aides over what the governor described as a derogatory and insidious statement against him.

He said he had directed the aides involved to withdraw their complaint, while also asking the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice to urgently review the matter and, in the exercise of his constitutional discretion, take the necessary steps to discontinue the case.

The governor said the move was intended to facilitate Odama’s release from the correctional centre and reunite him with his family.

“I hold a firm belief and faith in the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, particularly Section 39, which guarantees every citizen the right to freely express themselves,” Otu said.

“I remain committed to upholding this right for all Cross Riverians, including those who criticise me.”

The development followed a petition dated August 5, 2026, filed by CORE LEGAL, Barristers & Solicitors, Calabar, on behalf of Barr. Ekpenyong Akiba, Special Adviser to the Governor on General Duties, and Pius Ankpo, Commissioner for Works.

The petition identified Odama Ajor as the principal suspect and also named Ochi Anthony, Mboutidem Isaac Tevest and Kelvin Chika as other suspects.

According to the details of the petition, the complainants alleged offences including cyberbullying under Section 24 of the Cybercrimes Act, 2015; criminal defamation of character under Sections 373 to 375 of the Criminal Code Act; sedition under Sections 50 and 51 of the Criminal Code Act; and conduct likely to cause breach of peace under Section 249 of the Criminal Code Act.

The petition alleged that Odama, who described himself as a content creator on Facebook, had published visual posts on his Facebook pages and that of the governor containing statements which the complainants considered “infamous, grossly offensive, false, annoying and injurious” to the Cross River State Government.

It further alleged that the posts targeted senior government officials and were intended to incite members of the public against the state government.

The petitioners also claimed that the posts attracted numerous views and remained in circulation after publication, attaching purported pictorial and visual evidence of the posts to the complaint.

However, Otu’s latest directive signals a shift in the government’s handling of the matter, with the governor expressly directing the withdrawal of the complaint and a review by the state’s chief law officer.

The governor, while affirming Odama’s right to express himself, cautioned young Cross Riverians to exercise the freedom responsibly and with regard for the cultural values and moral standards of the people.

He said his administration was elected to listen to the people and respond to positive suggestions, advice and constructive criticism.

“You voted me as your Governor to listen and to act on positive suggestions, advice, and constructive criticism, and I will continue not only to listen, but to act accordingly,” he said.

Otu urged Cross Riverians to recognise the protection of the state as a collective responsibility.

“Cross River State is our collective responsibility to protect,” the governor added.

Odama was arrested on the 12th of August.