|Sen. Rose Oko|
Efio-Ita Nyok|10 April 2017
As part of 2016 zonal intervention project, senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Cross River Northern Senatorial District in the upper legislative chamber and chairman, Senate committee on Diaspora and CSOs, Senator Rose Oko has boosted 34 schools with educational materials.
The educational materials presented to the benefiting schools include: 12,000 textbooks; 120 science equipments kits; 2,700 science textbooks; 320 school desks and 6 classroom blocks.
Excited students and authorities of the benefiting schools across the five local government areas of the senatorial district were full of appreciation and praises for the distinguished senator.
Read full speech below…
ADDRESS BY SEN. ROSE OKOJI OKO, SENATOR REPRESENTING CROSS RIVER NORTH ON THE OCCASION OF THE PRESENTATION OF LEARNING MATERIALS, BOOKS, SCIENCE EQUIPMENTS AND DESKS TO SCHOOLS IN THE SENATORIAL DISTRICT
‘I am pleased and indeed honoured to welcome you all to this occasion. I bring to you the good people of Cross River Northern Senatorial District in general, staff and pupils of St. Ben’s Primary School, Mfuma in Particular, my warmest greetings as I present books and other essential learning materials to enhance your studies and improve the standard of education in our senatorial district. We will on this occasion present desks to your school.
‘My vision in representing you in the upper chamber of the National Assembly is to consistently reach out to my senatorial district with the dividends of democracy in terms of infrastructural development, instructural materials and human capacity development using my zonal intervention provisions as well as reaching out to friends of our Senatorial District to attract other projects. In our line of intervention we have also scheduled to train youths in entrepreneurial skills and provide start up grants; provide scholarship for our youths in secondary and tertiary institutions and also provide empowerment tools for poverty alleviation.
‘Recall that we had last year embarked on a medical outreach programme in which over 80 surgeries were carried out, 800 eye glasses given out, counseling on deadly diseases provided at a cost of N8 million; and hospital equipments worth N40million handed over to our people and hospitals in Obudu, Obanliku, Bekwara, Ogoja and Yala LGAs.
‘This intervention is part of my zonal intervention projects for the 2016 budgeting year. They are also a series of empowerment programmes slated for 2017 which will include scholarships, skill acquisition programmes and entrepreneurship training programme with startup grants as well as poverty alleviation tools for the good people of Cross River North senatorial district.
‘I wish to assure our people in Cross River North, that I will do my best to justify the confidence that you have continued to repose in me by first voting me into the House of Reps in 2011 and now the senate in 2015. Indeed, during my tenure in the House, I used my zonal interventions to provide 24 nos 6 classroom blocks and 3 classroom blocks in 22 wards of Ogoja/ Yala Federal Constituency, constructed 6 boreholes, attracted through the NDDC three road projects currently under construction:
1.Ochubi – Olachor Ipuole road, Okpoma, Yala
2.Igoli Ogoja – Abakpa – Ndok Junction road, Ogoja
3.Mary Knoll ringroad, off Abakaliki road, Okuku, Yala
‘facilitated the employment of over 20 of our youths in federal establishments and provided empowerment tools (20 garri factories, 18 block molding, 9 grinding machines), 12 tricycles, 5 cars, 20 motorcycles, 20 sewing machine, trained 20 women and empowered them with startup kits of Forever Living products, trained 56 youths in entrepreneurship and gave N100,000.00 to each participant as startup grants. Let me once again assure you that, notwithstanding the present economic recession in our dear nation, as a senator I will do all within my power to continue to reach out to our people.
‘This event is a token of my appreciation for the confidence once again reposed in me by electing me to the upper legislative chamber. In this present intervention, we are intervening in a total of 34 schools across the Northern Senatorial District comprising provision of science equipments to 13 schools; provision of textbooks and reference materials to 10 schools; provision of classroom desks to 4 schools; and construction of 6 nos 2 classroom blocks; all at total cost of N185million. I urge you all to use these materials judiciously to improve the standard of education of your pupils to the benefit of our dear state.
‘Thank you and God bless you all
LIST OF SCHOOLS TO BENEFIT FROM TEXTBOOKS IN CROSS RIVER NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT (SEN. ROSE OKO)
1. Community Science School, Olachor, Okpoma, Yala
2. O’nwu Secondary Grammer School, Yahe, Yala
3. Government Science School, Egbe-Mbube East, Ogoja
4. Igbeku Comprehensive Secondary School, Okuku, Yala
5. Begiaka Technical School Ibong, Begiaka, Obudu
6.Comprehensive Secondary School, Gakem, Bekwara
7.Technical Secondary School, Ijiraga, Yala
8. Community Secondary School, Utugwang, Obudu
9. Community Secondary School, Ishibori, Urban I, Ogoja
10. Nkim Iborr Community Secondary School, Aladim, Nkim Iborr, Ogoja
DISTRIBUTION OF SCIENCE EQUIPMENT & BOOKS
1.Government Science Schoo,l Ipong, Obudu
2.Community Science School, Olachor, Okpoma, Yala
3.Community Secondary School, Ukpa, Bekwara
4.Secondary Grammar School, Wanokom, Yala
5. Government Secondary School, Ijiegu, Yache, Yala
6. Yache Community Secondary School, Aliforkpa, Yache, Yala
7. Community Secondary School, Ore-Ijegu, Yala
8. Ubec Junior Secondary School, Abachor, Okuku, Yala
9. Bendi Technical Secondary School, Bendi II, Obanliku
10. Yala Secondary Commercial/ Secondary School, O’oh, Yala
11. Wanihem Science Secondary School, Wanihem, Yala
12. Nwang Community Secondary School, Nwang Ekajuk II, Ogoja
13. Comprehensive Secondary School, Okwel- Urban II, Obudu
14. Bekwara Secondary School, Abuochiche, Bekwara
15. Mount Camel Girls Secondary School, Igoli, Ogoja
1. Community Primary School, Ijama, O’oh, Yala
2. Community Primary School, Eshakom, Ntara II, Ekajuk, Ogoja
3.Community Primary School, Okpodon 3 Igede, Ukelle North, Yala
4. St. Ben’s Primary School, Mfuma, Ukelle South, Yala
CLASSROOM BLOCKS CONSTRUCTION
1. Bugene I, Primary School, Sankwala, Obanliku
2. St. Pius Primary School, Udiege, Obudu
3. St. Patrick Primary School, Egbe-Mbube (Mbube West I), Ogoja
4. Community Science School Olachor, Okpoma Yala
5. Covent Primary School, Ugaga, Yala
6. LEA Primary School, Ijiraga, Yala’, Oko concluded.
Is a Blogger, the Editor & Publisher of NegroidHaven.org